CSW58 & GADN
GADN recently attended a UK Government and UK civil society joint preparatory meeting for the 58th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW). The theme of CSW next year is Challenges and Achievements in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals for women and girls, and will include discussions on the post-2015 framework. GADN is beginning to prepare for CSW and to link and support members who are attending, if you would like to know more about this please get in touch.
GADN working group update
Our working groups bring members together around thematic areas to collaborate on projects and share resources, learning and experiences. We currently have the following groups:
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Violence Against Women and Girls
- Post-2015 framework
- Development Alternatives
- Girls Education
- Political Participation and Leadership
- Aid effectiveness (email list only)
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (email list only)
Key updates from the groups this month are:
- Jessica Woodroffe, GADN Director recently spoke with Naila Kabeer on the topic of ensuring gender equality is built into post-2015 development framework at The Changing Shape of Gender Equality in South Asia: Shifts, Challenges and a New Global Partnership.
- The Girls Education Working Group met to discuss the key findings from a DFID commissioned Literature review ‘Interventions to enhance girls’ education and gender equality’ conducted by the Institute of Education. A presentation prepared for the meeting is available here. The full report will be released by DFID in the coming months.
- The VAWG group is working on a publication on harmful traditional practices, bringing together member’s expertise on FGM/C and child marriage. This will be launched at an event in the 16 days of activism against violence against women and girls later this year. The group is also looking to organise a training course on VAWG in early 2014.